Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken Taco Soup

I realize that soup is not exactly a warm weather friendly sort of meal. It's like the old fashion rule that stated, "Don't ever wear white after Labor Day." just in reverse-- and with food. That being said, Taco Soup has been haunting my waking dreams. Okay, maybe it hasn't been quite that extreme, but I have had a nagging hankering for said soup. Last night, I caved. This is what greeted the kidlets as they came to the dinner table.





Delicious! The picture doesn't do it justice. It even looked good. Em told me, "Mom! It looks so pretty." (I think that is the one and only time she has commented on the beauty of a meal.) What's that, you say? Why don't I tell you the steps to such aesthetically pleasing comfort food? Well, since you twisted my arm ...

Chicken Taco Soup
Cooked, seasoned chicken chopped
1-2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained (nearly any variety will do)
1 can chili beans, undrained
1 can black beans, undrained
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 can corn, undrained
1 can chicken broth
1 packet of Taco Seasoning
1 packet of Dry Ranch Dressing Mix

Toss it all in a dutch oven size pot. Simmer over medium heat until heated through. Top with cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.


*Changes that I make: Sometimes I season my chicken with taco seasoning before I add it to the soup. I tend to use the bottled garlic from the store. Sometimes, I use a fresh onion and just saute it in some olive oil before adding the other ingredients. The beans can be changed up to use whatever you have on hand. If you use dry beans that you've cooked, just make sure that you add some extra liquid to the soup recipe. I usually use homemade veggie broth (I keep this on hand in the freezer) but even bouillon will do in a pinch. For kicks, you can even add in a can of green chiles.
There you have it. Simple, inexpensive, filling, and tasty ...

Linking up with:



The Girl Creative
Jam Hands

1 comment:

Melissa said...

This sounds delicious! New follower here from
http://brelynboutique.blogspot.com/
I'm following a gluten free diet so it's hard to find soups I can have but this one could easily be gluten free! Thanks for sharing :)