Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cream of [Insert Variety Here] Soup

 A few months ago, I realized that coming up with a homemade alternative to condensed "cream of" soups would not only reduce our packaging waste. but it would likely be a great deal healthier. I love recipes that call for "cream of soups" and wasn't willing to consider giving them up; I just wanted to change things up a bit so they were better for us and the world around us.



2 Cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 Cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp. dried onion
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 Cup chicken bouillon powder/granules
1 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Combine all the ingredients in an airtight container, and shake it up. (I used a Better Homes and Gardens snap and lock style container. Super easy to use -- just set the top on and flip the handle-- and they get a great seal. No, they didn't pay me to say that. They don't know I exist ... )

To use:

(For convenience, I used a sharpie both to label the container and write the proportions to use on the actual container.)
Combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened. (I usually turn the heat up just past medium to bring it to a simmer pretty quickly, then adjust the heat to keep it simmering while I stir.)






Add-ins:
I sauted some canned mushrooms in just a little bit of butter. I just added the soup mix to the mushrooms and then added the water.

You could do the same with some celery, a bit of chicken, or fresh mushrooms, etc. to create the flavor mix that you want.



If I am using this recipe in a casserole, I tend not to thicken the roux quite so much. If you like it super thick, you may want to consider doubling the amount you use.


While this mix does take a few more minutes than opening a can, it is still fairly quick and it certainly tastes better. I even used this in tonight's dinner: Crock Pot Chicken and Corn Enchilada Casserole

Linking up with:



Featured On The  Crafty NestThe Shabby NestTidy Mom

Thirty Hand Made Days

Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
Melt in Your Mouth Monday


PhotobucketJam Hands
Confessions of a Stay At Home MommyStrictly Homemade TuesdayPink Hippo Party

NightOwlCraftingTip Junkie handmade projects



10 comments:

Bridget said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love finding cool stuff from the linky parties!

Have a great day!

Bridget @ someday dreams

Vanessa said...

I am gonna have to try this! Yum!

Rachelle Lee said...

I am so thankful that you shared this. I can't wait to make it and stop buying the canned soups. If it's better and cheaper I am all for it :) Thank you for inspiring all of us to be wiser with our money!

Jaymie said...

You bet, Bridget! I'm glad that you linked up to the party. It was fun to find your blog.

Vanessa, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Rachelle, for me it's definitely cheaper since most of the stuff like powdered milk and cornstarch is stuff that I have on hand anyway. (You can find the milk at the cannery, case lot sales, or food storage places for relatively inexpensive.) I love just having the little container of mix rather than a bazillion cans too. I do have to tell you that I actually tried it in a recipe before I gave what was left of my canned stuff to my parents. (Before I committed to it wholeheartedly, I wanted to make sure that we liked it. :)

The Better Baker said...

SO glad you shared this...I definitely need to make my own as I use lots of soup. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please come again soon. I adore the name of yours...soo clever! =)

Jordan McCollum said...

I love this idea! I pinned something like this a while ago because I thought the cream soups feel so unhealthy, but I haven't tried it yet.

r4 said...

I am so thankful that you shared this, now onwards it will be best for breakfast for every morning. I can't wait to make it and stop buying the canned soups. It is better and cheaper also.

Jason, Jodie & Jackson Miles said...

Maybe this is a stupid question but does the 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cup water equal 1 can of regular soup? Thanks

Jason, Jodie & Jackson Miles said...

Does the 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cup water equal 1 can of regular soup?

Jaymie said...

That's not a stupid question at all. I sub that amount in for one can of the soup. It depends on the dish though. If it's something that I want to have more liquid though -- shepherd's pie, etc. -- I'll either not thicken this version as much or I'll double the batch.