Saturday, October 29, 2011

Favorite Busy Day Make Ahead Meal

I'm a mom, a teacher of sorts, and a full-time student ... It makes for a bit of chaos. Add in homework for kids and mom, play practice for the girls, etc. and there are nights when there is neither time nor willpower to come up with a fantastic healthy dinner. Fortunately, my kids love simple meals  and are okay with freeze-ahead foods. One of our family favorites is burritoes. (Does that word actually have an "e"? Yup, it's that point in the semester when my brain officially turns to mush and this English major forgets how to spell.)



I realized a while back that it's really just as simple to make my own batch of burritos (I'm thinking that I'm going with no "e" ... ) and freeze them. We like 'em simple. Refried beans (the black ones are our favorite) and sometimes a can of drained black beans, cheese, a can of green chiles, garlic powder or minced garlic, dried, minced onion, chili powder, and some cumin all make something that looks a lot like the picture above. I realize it doesn't look appetizing, but have you ever really looked at the guts of a burrito? Not pretty, my friends!



While homemade tortillas work really well, lots of times we just use the store-bought variety. Roll the filling up in a tortilla shell, place in a single layer on a cookie sheet or two (more space between the burritos will allow them to crisp up a bit on the sides too), and bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned and a bit crisp.

After they've cooled, place the leftovers in a freezer bag, label, and freeze. They reheat well in the microwave. Having these burritos on hand has saved us more than once. It's pretty simple to come up with a side dish, or even just add a salad and some fruit, to make a well-rounded meal. I like having them on hand for when the girls are gone.

Linking up with:
UndertheTableandDreaming


2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Thanks for the tutorial for the burritoes; that is a great idea and I will try this one.
Just dropped by today and caught this one.
Blessings to you and hope you have a moment to breath with going to school and being a Mom.
Living Waters by LeAnn
http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com

Jaymie said...

Thanks so much, LeAnn!I appreciate you dropping in. :)