Saturday, October 8, 2011

Preserving Zucchini

Two monster zucchini from my garden needed to be preserved before going bad.


These zucchini were HUGE, which means that the seeds were too. I just found it easiest to hollow out the seed area before moving on to the next step.

Since the zucchini were so big, I just cut them in chunks so they'd be easier to grate.


After grating the zucchini, I placed it in 2 cup portions in freezer bags. (Why two cups, you ask? Because. Yup, no good reason ... just because.)


Squash, shake, or slam them flat ...


Label them and freeze. (Just be aware that you'll want to drain off excess liquid after they thaw or compensate by adjusting the liquid in your recipe ... )


Linking with:


2 comments:

Liss said...

2 cups is what my mom's zucchini bread recipe calls for....so that's what i measure it out when i grate it and throw it in the freezer :)

Jaymie said...

See, I totally knew that! ;) Just kidding ... I was actually too lazy to look up what most of my zucchini recipes call for, but I'm glad to know that I picked a reasonable amount. :)