Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Roasted Chickpeas

We finally had those chickpeas for dinner ...



All you need is:
1-2 cans of chickpeas (or their equivalent in prepared dry chickpeas)
1-2 tsp. minced garlic
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt (any salt will do-- we just like kosher salt)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain and rinse the chickpeas. (At this point, you can put them in a bowl. I just do the next step in the colander so that I'm not dirtying another dish.)

Drizzle with olive oil and toss with garlic. Toss until the garlic is distributed and the chickpeas are coated with oil.

Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Place in the oven for 10 minutes.


Prepared, but not cooked ...


At this point, you could do the appropriate thing and stir them, but I just give the pan a good shake or two.

Cook for 10 more minutes.



After 20 minutes ...


If you are going for cruncy chickpeas, pull them out and give them another shake before cooking for an additional 10 minutes. Although I sometimes cook them longer like this, I usually stop at 20 minutes. That's the texture that we prefer at our house.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with kosher salt and serve. Simple and filling, this is one of our favorite fallback meals.


After 30 minutes ...
Linking with:
Tidy MomWow Me Wednesday
What's on Your Plate?



7 comments:

blessedrootsblog said...

Thanks for letting me know about your post. I am definitely going to make these!

Jaymie said...

You bet! Sorry it took me so much longer than I thought it would. :) I'd love to hear how they turn out...

Stephens Family said...

Mmmm...makes my mouth water! Being a vegetarian, I love seeing yummy veg-friendly recipes. Thanks!

Jaymie said...

Thanks for stopping by. We're not vegetarian, but we like to eat several meatless meals each week. We love these.

Shelley NOonan said...

Thank you so much for posting on http://BtwixtandBtweenblog.com! I adore garbanzo beans. Can't wait to roast them!
Blessings,
Shelley Noonan

Cathy @My 1929 Charmer said...

Thanks so much I absolutely love chickpeas. So this is just another way I can enjoy them. Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best and I am your newest follower.

Chris said...

Hi there, this looks like a nice healthy evening snack. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris