Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Wreath, Some Ribbon, and A Disembowled Book ...

I've showed you this before:

Sometimes, things have to get worse before they can get better ... And sometimes a book must be disembowled before it can be a better book ...

I didn't want to just toss all that lovely paper, and I've seen a lot of projects that use old book pages, so I began mulling it over in my mind. While I love almost all of the projects that I've seen, none of them were quite "me".

I used to have a thing for wreaths. Recently that passion has flamed anew. As a result, I decided that my book pages wanted to be a wreath-- for real. In spite of this, I still wasn't sure about the hows of things.

I took a trip to the local thrift store where I found a great grapevine wreath form for two dollars. That night, I decided to see where imagination could take me and whether or not my fingers could create the little bit of "me" that was in my mind. I grabbed that stack of forlorn pages, my bin of ribbon, and my hot glue gun (we have a love/hate relationship, but I find that I just can't live without it).


I pounced upon the unsuspecting paper. Mayhem ensued ... paper strips everywhere ...



But look! I put it back together ... sort of ...


I gave it a new home and dressed it up with pretty ribbon ... I started making roses with the rest of the black ribbon.


Some vintage, cream lace joined the party. It was jealous and begged to be made into flowers too.



After deciding that I was a rose-making fiend, some red ribbon with a subtle floral print began to feel left out. I took pity upon it and made it into roses as well. At this point, the book pages were in tears; they felt ugly and neglected. What the heck? Torn paper can have fun too. They joined in with the Twist.



I told you that my hot glue gun and I have a special relationship. This time, the casualties were my left pointer finger and thumb -- glued together. That little chunk of glue kept a couple of pieces of me for a souvenir. The jury was still out on whether or not I'd be able to capture "me", but the glue gun sure could ...


Paper, lace, and fancy ribbon roses ...

Who knew that book pages can dance so well? Stay tuned for the final unveiling ...

Check out my sidebar to find out where I'm linking up this week ...

2 comments:

blessedrootsblog said...

I love the book roses. I can't decide if that would make an obnoxious or perfect pin for a book lover. Too crinkly?? What do you think?

Jaymie said...

Thanks! I think that they'd look amazing for a pin, but perhaps they'd be a bit loud-- not necessarily when you moved, but if you bumped them or your arm brushed them, etc. It might work best on a coat or a jacket.

I was thinking that they'd be fun on a headband.