Thursday, November 17, 2011

My First Furniture Re-do

This is an old coffee table from my parents. When my mom had young children at home (and there were several of us) she'd put the fancy Christmas Nativity on the floor, flip the table over and put the lid on top (of the bottom of the table). Over the years, this table served to protect multiple things that my mom wanted safe -- and visible.

I've always thought this would make a terrific bench. It can bear quite a bit of weight. I decided that I didn't want to wait one more winter. So outside we both went. After making sure it was clean, I pulled out a can of paint primer.


(I'm new to the whole spray paint thing, so I didn't realize that you can find huge cans of just primer at Home Depot for pretty inexpensive.) This dual paint primer gave it a good base coat. Before:


After a coat of primer:



I probably could have done a second coat of primer before starting with the actual color I wanted, but since I wanted it to look a bit (just a bit -- I'm not into big huge bare spots ... ) distressed, and I actually like that hint of shading that you can get when it blends well -- kind of like built in shadows -- I figured that one coat would do.



** Note to self: Bees like spray paint. Who knew? AND if your fingers are covered in paint, bees will like you too. Fun-filled allergy excitement ...



After the base coat, I gave it a couple of coats of an almond colored spray paint. I like the muted ivory look that it has. I also dragged the plastic off the grass and onto the cement. The grass was super long that day and pushed the lightweight plastic up against the paint.

It's a work in progress, but at least we're on our way now ...

No comments: