Monday, December 5, 2011

Death and Destruction

It's the last two weeks of the semester.

Know what that means? Things in my world die. It's a problem.

See this?


This would be the cast iron skillet that almost bit the dust -- twice, on two completely separate occasions -- thanks to end of semester mush-brain. (Yes, I believe that is the technical term. Why do you ask?)

Luckily, cast iron is durable, and, after a great deal of elbow grease and a wire scrubbie or two, the pan has been stripped and reseasoned -- twice. It's not the same, but it will do ...

Sadly,

the plants haven't been nearly so lucky. There've been at least two that have taken turns fertilizing the dumpster. Which leads to this semester's current dilemma ...


I realize that this plant (and the others around it) are still a lovely shade of green, but let's face it -- the leaves are awfully thing and equally wilty. To be honest, I'm not sure how many weeks it has been since it was last watered.

My daughters have seen enough College Final Casualties to recognize the symptoms, and my L took me to task:

"Mom! You need to water these plants, the pink and green vine is pretty much dead!!"

She's right.
As I said, things die ... It's a problem.

The kicker is that these plants are from my grandmother's funeral. I feel a bit more obligated to make a real effort to keep them alive. Sadly, my brain's woefully inadequate limits are challenged after completing the basic checklist:

Kids fed? Check.
Kids' homework done? Check
Dishes clean? Check.
Laundry washed? Check.
My homework? Never-ending, but under control.

That's pretty much where it ends. Did you see water the plants anywhere on the list? Me neither. Sad, really ...

Oh well; here's hoping they live to die another day ...

1 comment:

Renee@LivingLaughingLoving said...

I'm the world's worst plant waterer. Before we had kids, we had this lily plant {I think} that would constantly die and then we would remember to water it and revive it. It never bloomed needless to say.
Somehow our kids have managed to survive so far despite our failed plant test run! :)