Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ham and Beans -- Slow Cooker Style

Between work and helping to chaperon the school's musical rehearsal, I knew that today was going to be long and crazy. So, I wanted dinner to be warm, hearty, and -- most importantly of all -- ready when we finally arrived back home.

A while back, I pinned this recipe on Pinterest. (Seriously, I love that site a bit more than I should, but oh, what beautiful things it's done for my world!) Ham and beans sounded like a quick, easy, inexpensive meal that would meat all of my requirements, and I actually had all the ingredients on hand. (I did sub in some leftover spiral cut ham instead of a ham hock or bone ... mainly because that's what I had.)

Hours later ...

After walking in the door and being greeted by a delicious smell, I sampled dinner. It was good, but just a bit bland for our tastes, so I tossed in a bit of cayenne pepper, some basil, and some season salt. (I have a bad habit of just eyeballing these kind of things ... ) After cooking for another 45 minutes or so, it was perfect.

We paired it with a bit of cornbread. I had some jiffy mixes that were needing to be used -- I know, ick! but, I mixed in a bit of brown sugar, one drained can of corn, and a heaping, large spoonful of ricotta cheese. It was pretty dang good!

My favorite part about this recipe? You don't have to soak the beans. I put them in around 10:30 this morning -- dry as a bone -- and they were done by about 6:00. Perfect for a busy day ...

No comments: