Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bread Crumbs or Croutons?

Who knew that slicing bread was a skill I needed to teach my daughters?

Apparently the bread knew, but it wasn't telling ...

I did hand my daughters the serrated knife and say, "Make sure you use this knife. It will work best." Famous last words, I know, but they were so insistent that they could do it themselves. You've seen what the bread looked like before.

Here's what it looked like after my L got through with it ...

"Mom! Most of this loaf isn't any good for toast anymore." 
What you don't see is the sad little quarter loaf that's hiding off to the side. It's lonely. Seriously ...

It seems that in my daughter's rush to prove how independent she is, and in my utter ignorance of the need for specific instruction, I neglected to tell her that you can't just jam the knife down, but that a serrated knife works best when you slide it like a saw so that it can cut the bread. Another one of those things they don't tell you in the parenting instruction manual. :)

Luckily, for the bread, I rescued it as L was about to throw the whole crumbly mess away ...


Although I haven't decided yet if it's destined to be reincarnated as croutons or bread crumbs, it did live to be eaten another day, and I finally managed to show L how to really wield a knife.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Oh so classic!!! This is how my bread looks after my Pegglets get a hold of it. Looks like there is a yummy salad or meatloaf in your future!