Monday, August 5, 2013

And That is Why I Run ... Musings on Chocolate Gravy

Some mornings ...

You just have to have chocolate gravy and biscuits.



Some of you know just what I'm talking about. However, I know there are some of you thinking, "Ew! Ew! Ew!" or rolling your eyes. Stop it! I know it sounds a little bizarre, but you should try it. I think you'll like it.



Start with your favorite biscuit recipe. This one is mine: South Georgia Biscuits (Allrecipes.com)
I usually use skim milk. It turns out fine every time. But, next time I think I'll try buttermilk ... just 'cause I've discovered that I like cooking with real buttermilk ... a lot.

While your biscuits are baking, mix up a batch of chocolate gravy.

 


Keep stirring ...






Move that glorious goodness away from the heat and toss in some butter and vanilla ...





Give it a quick stir or two ...




Nothing left to do but top your biscuits with that yummy, pudding-like gravy. If you want, you can plate it prettily ...


Ha, ha! Look an accidental smiley face. Oops!

But, c'mon people! It's chocolate gravy. Live a little!



That's what I'm talking about. I'm not certain where I got the chocolate gravy recipe. I've been using this one for years. I think I looked at several and tweaked the ingredients to match our family's tastes.

The recipe, you say?

Chocolate Gravy

3 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 C. white sugar
Dash of salt
2 1/2 C. skim milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. butter

In a large skillet, whisk your flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt. Add your milk while the heat is off. Whisk everything together until it's well blended. Turn the stove to medium heat. Keep stirring until the gravy is as thick as you like it. Pull your skillet off the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter. Serve warm over fresh biscuits.

Notes: I usually put the stove setting just over the middle mark. On my stove it's between the 5 and 6. That way it's hot enough to get a bit bubbly a bit more quickly.



No comments: