Sunday, June 8, 2014

Building a Bread-baking Frenzy

It's been awhile, I know ...

This past fall, I completed my student teaching. Life was a little crazy.

When February began, I began my first full-time teaching job. I took over for a teacher who retired, mid-year ... three weeks or so before mid-term. Life was a little crazier.

Blogging is one of the elements of life that fell by the wayside. So was baking ...



Fast-forward:

School just ended. While I'm still hunting for the right teaching job, I'm finally having a bit of down time to fill with long-neglected loves. Getting out for a walk or a run on a regular basis, hang out time with my kids, getting my home in order, and, of course, a bit of cooking and baking ... It's a beautiful thing.

Yesterday, I decided it had been a while since I'd made tortillas, so ...

Admittedly, the dough isn't fancy.

Though it does the job ...

And who can argue with a tortilla that pretty? Even if I'm not obsessive enough to make them perfectly round ...
Today, it was bread. (What can I say? I run so I can embrace my true love -- carbs, carbs, and more carbs.)

To give you an idea of just how much dough this actually is, the bowl it is in doesn't actually fit in my sink. This is eight loaves worth of dough.
This is one of my favorite bread recipes. It works equally well whether you use all white flour -- all-purpose or bread, all wheat flour, or a mix that involves both. It's nearly fail-proof and has a fantastic texture. Grandma VanDoren's White Bread from Allrecipes.com is a great recipe for those who think bread-making is too hard.

This time I doubled the batch. It was enough to make this:

You  can't tell, but that fourth pan in the right corner is full of pull-apart rolls.

And this:

Four full-sized loaves of dough, ready to thaw and bake ...

The only problem I see now is leaving the loaves alone instead of eating until I'm bloated and incapable of thinking due to the carb-induced, food coma.


Obviously, I'm on the losing end of this battle. (Don't get me started on how the bread enlisted the homemade, strawberry freezer jam. So unfair!)


1 comment:

Steph said...

I love that recipe! The best thing about it is that it makes three loaves at a time. I like to make one (or two) a cinnamon swirl loaf-- toast that with butter and it's just heaven... :)